Bee Removal Mesa AZ

What to do When Your Pet gets Stung by Bees

What to do When Your Pet gets Stung by Bees

As compassionate pet owners, we never want to see our dogs or cats experience even the slightest discomfort from any pain. That’s why Phoenix residents need to pay special attention to the bees around our property to ensure that it doesn’t escalate into a dangerous situation for your beloved pets.

So, then, what should you do if and when your dog or cat is stung by bees. So without further adieu, here are our suggestions as to what you may want to do when you pet gets a bee sting (or two).

Observe your pet for any type of allergic reaction to the bee sting(s)

While most bee stings simply result in some minor pain and inflammation around the wound, believe it or not, there are some pets (dogs and cats) who can have an allergic reaction to bee stings. While not common, it does happen and when it does, you want to make sure you address the issue promptly.

What are some symptoms that might lead you to believe your pet is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

First, see if you can locate the area of your pet’s body that was stung. Look to see there are any signs of your pet’s face or neck swelling. Does your pet have trouble breathing? Is your pet vomiting or drooling?

If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, you may want to consider taking your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

In the interim, try to locate and remove the bee’s stinger from your pet’s skin. The reason for doing this is the same for humans…you want to avoid the continual spread of bee venom into your pet’s body.

What does a bee’s stinger look like?

A bee’s stinger resembles a tiny black sac. You can remove it by simply using a flat edge of a credit card or your finger nail to brush it off. There are plenty of videos online that demonstrate how to easily do this.

Soothe the area of skin that was stung

To relieve some of your pet’s pain and discomfort from the bee sting, apply a mixture of water and baking soda to the affected area. You may also apply a cold compress to the affected area.

Visit the veterinarian

If your pet has numerous bee stings and/or your pet is showing signs of a severe allergic reaction, like those noted earlier, you may want to consider taking your pet to the veterinarian. A veterinarian should be able to provide your pet with the appropriate medical care.

If you’d like to know more about what to do when your pet gets stung by bees, or suspect you have a bee problem, contact our a bee removal professionals at The Beehive, Bee and Wasp Removal today!



Categories : Safety